[muglo] Re: Web site creating

  • From: Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 17:30:34 -0400

> > Safari is balking at anything now after the reinstall. Slow to load,
> > responds only to Quit from the keyboard. Perhaps everything isn't up to
> > date yet.
> >
> > Hmmm... I said to myself. after the breakin, I got paranoid and turned
> > on Filevault. After turning it off, both Explorer and Firefox access
> > the

Hmm. I'm wondering if Apple's done some naughty things to Safari in
recent updates -- I've been having problems with Safari too.

But, alas, there's no good alternative left on Mac. Internet Explorer
is officially dead. Firefox is far too beta to use on a full-time
basis (every other time I try it to see where it's at I manage to
crash it) and and Camino is going into dormancy (probably the
developers are working on Firefox now). Mozilla is, well, Mozilla is
still Mozilla. The lovable old giant. Opera and OmniWeb and iCab...
well, they're interesting but nothing special. Safari is the best and
I fear for our beloved platform because FireFox is rapidly advancing
whilst Safari is languishing. It'll be interesting to see what OS X
10.4 will do for Safari at the end of the week.

If I want to do serious browsing I switch over to Linux and run
FireFox there. It seems like the quality control on the Linux FF side
of things is significantly higher than for Mac (a lot more developers
are working on the Linux side of things than on porting to Mac (there
may be more Mac users than all Linuxers put together, but a far higher
% of Linuxers use FF than on Mac)).

Eric.