[muglo] Re: The site

  • From: Alan Pomfret <pomfret@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 08:50:54 -0400

Hello Doug,

Compared the site using Safari Beta 3.0.3 and Firefox 2.0.0.6.

Everything appears fine with Firefox 2..0.0.6

With Safari, index.html displays everything only if the page is
expanded to the point where the bottom and side slider disappear.
Once I start to contact the page the welcome paragraph begins to
truncate with the degree of truncation varying with the size of the
page (the smaller the page, the greater the truncation)

And no matter how big I make the page (in Safari) it does not display
the info about the executive.

However, the left hand side icons display in both browsers (and IMHO,
with a bit nicer spacing in Safari)

The top navigation bar seems fine in both browsers.

This general pattern (left sidebar OK, navigation bar OK, material in
the body truncated in a variety of ways in Safari whereas Firefox
displays everything OK) also occurs on the Join.html, Sponsors.html,
and Constitution.html pages.

The Archives.html and Sponsors.html pages are OK in both browers.

I don't think the beta version of Safari (3.0.x) is distributed via
Software Update.

i think I have always had to download mine directly from the Apple
site (although my memory does not always serve me well)

The only possible quick fix I can suggest at this time is the following.

I loaded the source code into Adobe Golive CS2 (the metatags
indicated you constructed this in GoLive)

You appear to be using a table cell  (or is it a text box) to
position and constrain contents you want displayed in the cell.

In the Inspector change the height of the cell to something like 5
in. and the width to auto.

(You made need different setting for each of the pages where you have
a sidebar and body configuration)

When I did this the index.html page displayed properly in Safari 3.0.3

There are probably other solutions as well.

Not sure about how how the different browsers handle the code but
Apple has the reputation of adhering to the W3C specifications more
faithfully than the other browser developers who are more forgiving
(apparently IE leads the pack here).

I have no where near the expertise to establish the accuracy of such
an assertion.

Or this may simply be a Safari bug so you could send a report into
Apple along with a copy of the page.

Anyway, good luck with this and thank you for all your hard work in
trying to provide an online community for the Mac minority here in
London.

Alan Pomfret