[muglo] TechTool 4.x optimization/defrag

  • From: Leith Peterson <leithriver@xxxxxx>
  • To: MUGLO <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 12:39:26 -0400

I remember there was quite a bit of discussion on the list awhile
back about defraggers.  In the process of trying to resolve my G4
running 10.3.9 problems, I used TechTool Pro (TTP) 4.x to run some
diagnostics.   It appears this version of TTP does have defragging
built into the optimization option.

Here are some things I learned:

1.   If you run the Intermediate Test Suite, it includes a volume
structure test that must be run before optimization.  The Basic Test
Suite does not include this.

2.   According to the TTP manual, optimization has two goals:  "to
defragment the files on a volume and to consolidate the free space on
the volume into one large block."

3.   Journaled volumes, such as mine, cannot be optimized, unless I
disable "volume journaling" in the Tools section.  I could re-enable
after optimization, but I decided not to do this and just had my
files optimized.

4.  There is a graph feature, that allows you to see how much
fragmentation is present before deciding whether or not to optimize.
There was quite a bit on my hard drive, so I decided to proceed.  The
graph feature is only in blue and white (not the multicoloured "lava
lamp" style version of Norton Utilities).

Things seem to be going fine since running these tests (fingers
crossed).  I'm just telling you what appears to have worked for me,
for your information.

I run Disk First Aid (DFA) regularly, and I'm sure it helps as well.

Leith