[muglo] Re: Renaming a computer (Root name) in OS X

  • From: Martin Albinger <max@xxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 19:53:44 -0500

On Nov 6, 2005, at 5:09 PM, Eric Dunbar wrote:
> My one thought: "don't do it!"
>
> Migrating preferences is a BAD idea. The beauty of a clean install is
> that you can start fresh. Moving over old preferences merely increases
> the chances of a corrupted file.

Groan!  Too late a fait acomplis.

> But, if you do want to do things like e-mail (the one thing I agree
> with) and bookmarks (I'm of the opinion that most bookmarks one makes
> are junk anyway... you probably only use a fraction of the bookmarks
> you make)...

The other system was relatively 'young'.  The accounts I transferred
were only about 3 months old and neither of the users did much in the
way of preference changes or anything.  (I controlled it all heh heh
heh!)

> Share the OS 9 machine's harddrive. Login to it using OS X Finder. Run
> Migration Assistant and select the files that way. Much easier than
> physically MOVING HDs!

The only options were firewire and a local drive.  I tried logging in
as root to the iMac uing OS X but nothing showed up.  I didn't think to
try oS 9.  Oh well, I had fun taking apart the iMac (well constructed)
and doing the hard drive thing.  I read some relatively good things
about the Migration Assistant as well as some bad things.  Too early to
say if I have moved over some corrupt preferences etc.  I'll monitor
the G4 for a month or two before I reformat the original drive with
Tiger on it.  Just in case!

Come to think of it maybe I just better keep it as a back up.  Might be
cheaper to get a new hard drive and add that to the tower for extra
storage.

Martin