[muglo] Re: Portable Hand Scanners

  • From: Tee Cashmore <tee.cashmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 23:35:53 -0500

Ilbert Walker wrote:

>Many years ago I seem to remember there was marketed a portable
>handheld scanner (for the Mac?) with which you could scan , say, a
>newspaper or magazine column or book paragraph , and then dump it into
>a word processor.  A sort of portable 'coupon clipper' for info
>addicts.
>
>Does anyone use one of these ? - or know anything about their current
>availability, source, cost etc ?? Battery or power operated ?
>
>I seem to remember one of the problems related to a restricted width,
>which entailed having to
>'electronically stitch' two columns together. Can they also input
>graphics or photos ?
>
>Obviously not a substitute for a flatbed page scanner, but easier to
>carry around, and for capturing small amounts of page information.
>
>Google didn't provide me much info - anyone else out there ?
>
>Thanks
>
>Ilbert

Actually I have two of them, us Apple IIGS guys got them before the big
guys, but the only difference in the end was software. The best ones
were called "Quickie" scanners & one of the disadvantages was that you
had to sort of teach it to recognize some letters. Yes, you also had to
stitch columns together, but that was pretty easy. Pics were quite good.
TTFN,
TeeC