[muglo] Re: PDF Security

  • From: Wayne Dobson <pwdobson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 10:37:46 -0400

Although I can't help with your specific problem, I will offer this:
I have had compatibility problems with Mac-generated pdf's for many years. Using the print menu to generate a pdf will result in a pseudo- pdf with a different icon than an Adobe one. I used to send these in emails and Windows systems couldn't read them. If I emailed them to myself first, the result was a regular pdf with the Adobe icon in return mail which I could then forward. It seems to me there are options in 'save as' for a generic pdf as well as a regular one. could this be the problem?

On Mar 19, 2012, at 8:44 PM, Dean Danis wrote:

I'm sure that I'm doing something wrong, but I can't seem to figure this out. I've made a secure PDF document by using the print method. I select Print from Firefox or whatever and then select the PDF button located in the lower left-hand side of the Print Dialog. Next, I select Save as PDF... from the list and then Security Options. In this window I enter a password that restricts modifying and printing the PDF and save it. If I open the protected PDF in Preview I am prompted to enter a password I try to print the document, however, in Adobe Reader things are different. In Reader V10.1.2 for Mac The print menu option is greyed out and I can find no way to enter a password or print the PDF out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Dean

Dean Danis
519-494-8639