[muglo] Re: It's me again

  • From: Tee Cashmore <tee.cashmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 16:58:49 -0400

Kathryn-Jane Hazel wrote:

> Dear Muglo Folks:
>
> Eric D. very kindly explained how I could save a link to disk and then
> print it out from Adobe Reader, so that problem was solved.
>
> Now I seem to be having difficulties with Netscape Navigator. It keeps
> crashing, and simple e-mail messages are very slow to print out. This
> has happened since I had Adobe Reader installed, so maybe that's the
> problem - and maybe it isn't.
>
> I have a Mac Performa 6400/200, Adobe Reader 4.0, Netscape Navigator
> 4.7, OS 8.6.
>
> Anyway,  I looked up what to do in my Macs for Dummies and it suggested:
>
> 1.  Give the program more memory.  Well, I chose About This Computer,
> and on my computer it does not show the programs in the bottom part of
> the dialogue box that shows up, or their memory - so I'm stumped. It
> just shows built-in memory, virtual memory, and largest unused block,
> then the Mac OS - but not the other programs I have.

Hi,
    Your looking in the wrong place. Make sure that Netscape is not
functioning, then find the Netscape folder. Inside that you will find a
"Navigator Icon". Click once & do a "Open Apple" (propeller or command) +
an "I". This will provide an information box on the left side of screen. Go
to "General Information" with the nouse and you will find 3 options. The
bottom option is memory. Click on this & you can increase the memory to at
least 18 meg Prefered, same or a little more with Suggested.

> 2.  Dump the Netscape preferences.  However, I couldn't find them in my
> Systems Folder.

Just look for a preferences folder in the system folder, but I doubt this
is the problem.

> My Norton SystemWorks doesn't find anything wrong; I've rebuilt the
> desktop. So, I'm not sure what's happening, or where to find out about
> memory.

Nor will it, as it is a simple software glitch that will only show up if
Netscape is running; &/or Reader.

> So...what do I do now?  (Of course, now it isn't crashing. .go figure.)
>
> Dazed and confused,
>
> Kathryn

Hope the above helped, if not ask again for help, or call me.
TTFN,
TeeC

going to <//www.freelists.org/archives/muglo>

<paulthomas@xxxxxxx>