[muglo] FW: cannot rebuild/recover OE database

  • From: Chris <kristoff1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 08:11:05 -0400

I received this email yesterday. Maybe someone out there can help this guy.
I'm stumped.

Chris

----------
From: Deron Husak <dhusak@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 12:25:14 -0500
To: <kristoff1@xxxxxxx>
Subject: cannot rebuild/recover OE database

Hello Chris,

I saw your posting regarding problems with rebuilding the Outlook Express
database (//www.freelists.org/archives/muglo/10-2001/msg00047.html),
and was wondering if there's any chance you may have some insight on the
following situation:

I am using Outlook Express 5.0.4 on my Power Mac G4 and running Mac OS
9.2.2. While checking for new email, OE crashed and I have not been able to
use properly since.

I first trashed the preferences file and restarted the app. OE then gave me
the following error messages upon launching:
"An error occurred while launching. The end of file was reached."

So I tried to compact and rebuild the database (by holding down the Option
key while starting OE), but was given this message:
"Compacting failed. The end of file was reached."

So then I tried to do a complex rebuild, and *that* did not work:
"Rebuilding file. The end of file was reached."

and was given yet another error message:
"Rebuilding failed; if there were out of memory errors try increasing the
memory allocated to Outlook Express. If there were no memory errors it is
likely that your database cannot be repaired."

Dejected but not without hope, I tried to launch OE yet again. I was shown
"An error occurred while launching. An unknown error (4362) occurred."

Any idea how I can recover my Messages database? I've tried importing the
messages into Netscape Communicator 4.75 and Eudora 5.1.1, but with no luck.
Perhaps importing into Outlook (not Outlook Express) or maybe the PC version
of OE would work? I also ran the Internet Self-Repair, but that didn't help
either.

I'm at a *complete* loss as to how to recover my email, so any advice would
be appreciated - thanks so much just for reading this far!

Best regards,
Deron

P.S. While I did make a backup of my OE Messages file (all 468 MB worth; I
know -- that probably caused the problem in the first place), I made it in
Dec 2001. Seven months' of archived email probably down the tube...  :(

--

Deron J. Husak
Interactive Art Director

OARnet Enterprise Services