[muglo] FW: [freelists-users] Re: Romanian Requests

  • From: Paul Thomas <paul_thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: MUGList <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,CPCUG List <users_group@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 13:06:20 -0400

If you have been receiving any of these messages, as I have, you might be
interested in the following.

Paul

----------
From: "Zingus J. Rinkle" <zingus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 04:48:25 +0200
To: freelists-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freelists-users] Re: Romanian Requests

>> Nothing from Romanian on my ~60 member list.  Lots from Nigeria and
>> other African locations.  Some members, including myself, let an e-mail
>> address slip through in our message body, we're now much beset by the
>> 491 scamsters.  We've locked our archive, but that's like closing the
>> barn after the livestock have left. :(
> What are the 491 scamsters?  Sounds like something everyone should be
> careful about.

People who perpetrates (or tries to perpetrate) 419 "nigerian
scams", I believe. Stuff like: "Here's the son of the king of
Congo, brutally dethronized by evil forces, seeking people like
you to mess with money I must hide." Nothing people which fires
up their brain while reading their mail should ever give credit.
Still some did, and wasted money, or worst.

And now, for some insightful links on the topic:
http://www.upenn.edu/computing/security/advisories/419scam.html
http://home.rica.net/alphae/419coal/

Scammingly,
Zingus