[muglo] Re: CD Read Woes

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 18:39:14 -0500

on 31/3/02 16:44, malbinger at max@xxxxxx wrote:

> I ditched preference files and replace extensions that had
> anything to do with CDs. It looks like I can now put in the
> unreadable CDs, get the format dialogue and can eject it. Putting
> in a "good" CD now works.
>
> Here's the rub the "bad" CDs are all readable by my other systems
> ( a Rev A iMac and a Cube) running OS 9.1 with no problems.
>
> Have I missed an extension (Apple Audio, Apple DVD/CD and ISO
> 9660), forgotten a preference file or is there something else I
> could/should try?

I've been experiencing something similar on a P/166 but that's attributable
to a poorly set BIOS preference or ill-configured IDE chain (after a cold
start I have to restart the machine before it'll read CD-Rs... seems like it
has problems dealing with the Zip & CD-ROM on boot)... not enough of a
problem for me to bother trouble-shooting.

In your case it feels like your CD-ROM is failing. When CD-ROMs go, the
first thing to go is the ability to read CD-RWs followed very quickly by
CD-Rs, and finally pressed CDs. There's a chance something got misaligned in
the CD-ROM.

Four things to try:

(1) Boot up with your MO (what kind of media does it use???) drive running
8.6 and see if that allows you to load CD-Rs or CD-RWs in the internal
CD-ROM. If it does, then it's your System Folder.

(2) Clean OS install. If that fixes your problem you're missing something in
the current system folder

(3) Zap the PRAM using Tech Tools (never hurts to try ;)

(4) Try a cleaning CD (available at Radio Slack or some similar store)

IIRC the Beige G3s use IDE CD-ROMs which means replacing it will be cheap. A
new 50x CD-ROM can be had for $50 (there's one 50+x that spins the CD at a
much lower speed (quieter, less vibrating) but makes up for it with multiple
lasers... can't remember brand though), and you can get IDE CD-RWs that are
12/8/40 (or something like that) for ~$150.

Good luck, Eric.

going to <//www.freelists.org/archives/muglo>

<paulthomas@xxxxxxx>