[muglo] Re: CD Read Woes

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 10:15:52 -0500

on 1/4/02 23:48, malbinger at max@xxxxxx wrote:

>> can't remember brand though), and you can get IDE CD-RWs that are
>> 12/8/40 (or something like that) for ~$150.
>
> I keep debating whether I should add onto the G3 or perhaps get an external
> firewire for the Cube. If I do need to replace it though I think a burner is
> what I'd get. Certainly make burning discs easier (read more convenient.

It all depends on what you see your back-up needs being. If you'll be buying
a new Mac you are guaranteed to get a CD-RW (if not a DVD-R/CD-RW by that
point) in your machine. Having a FireWire burner would be redundant in that
case. If backing up on your G3 is enough, you could get an IDE CD-RW for
half the cost of a FW burner (& by the time the CD-RW gives up the ghost or
you get rid of your G3 FW burners will be that much cheaper again).

However, you could get a FW burner for the Cube (your iMac doesn't have
FW?), and get a FW/USB card for the G3. This wouldn't fix a flaky G3 CD-ROM
but it would give you a newer back-up alternative to the MO drive (plus,
CD-Rs are waaaay cheaper ($0.40/) than the media for MO drives).

As for replacing the CD-ROM with another CD-ROM... you can pick up a 24x for
probably $40 (I checked... your G3 uses IDE CD-ROMs).

Eric.

going to <//www.freelists.org/archives/muglo>

<paulthomas@xxxxxxx>