[muglo] Re: Anti-Virus programs?

  • From: Jim Laycock <jim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 12:20:25 -0400

Kathryn,

The anti-virus programs that you have identified below are all
freeware/shareware, and some have been discontinued.

Disinfectant is superb, but it hasn't been update/supported for a few years,
and that renders it useless.  WormScan only targets one virus (worm), the
Mac AutoStart worm.  It's good, but extremely limited in scope.  I'm not
that familiar with the others.

The thing to look for in anti-virus software is how current is it, and does
the vendor offer a subscription program for updated virus definitions?

I would highly recommend Symantec's Norton Anti-Virus.  It's expensive, but
it's well supported and offers you the best protection.  While you're at it,
you should consider buying Symantec's Norton Utilities -- when your hard
drive crashes, you need a recovery tool.  These two programs are bundled
together with Symantec's personal firewall software in a package called
Symantec SystemWorks.

The viruses that are going to attack your computer will likely arrive via
email.  Unless you have regular updates to your anti-virus software, you
won't be able to protect yourself against them.

-Jim

--
Jim Laycock        email: <mailto:jim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
President            web: <http://www.lateralthinkinc.com>

Specializing in:
Database Publishing using AppleScript and Quark Xtensions
Database Solutions in FileMaker Pro
Workflow Automation for Prepress & Publishing
REALbasic application development
MYOB Accounting Installation and Support
Canto Cumulus Integration and Support

Member of:
TECSoft Developers Consortium <http://www.tecsoft.com/tdc.html>
Apple Solution Experts <http://experts.apple.com/>
FileMaker Solutions Alliance <http://www.filemaker.com/developers/>
Adobe Solutions Network Developer Program
<http://partners.adobe.com/asn/developer/>

going to <//www.freelists.org/archives/muglo>

<paulthomas@xxxxxxx>