[msb-alumni] Uber Service Expands to Ann Arbor Ypsie Area

  • From: Steve <pipeguy920@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <msb-alumni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 15:49:19 -0400

BlankFor at least Larry and Rob and Marcia, and I guess any others passing
through A-Squared.
Steve
Class of '72

Uber ride service expands to Ann Arbor By JC Reindl Detroit Free Press
Business Writer The fast-growing Uber ride service has expanded into its
second Michigan metro area - Ann Arbor. San Francisco-based Uber
Technologies announced the expansion this morning and an offer for two weeks
of free rides for those who download its smartphone app. Uber arrived in
Detroit in March 2013 and was followed last month by a competitor, Lyft . ¦
Tom Walsh: Uber Technologies brings touch-screen transit service to Detroit
¦ Related: Another ride-share service to launch in Detroit Friday night The
company, which operates in dozens of cities, runs a service similar to that
of a taxicab but does not own a vehicle fleet and requires customers to
summon Uber-affiliated drivers through cellphones. Uber often faces
regulatory issues in the markets it enters because it contends that
traditional taxi and limo laws shouldn't apply to its business. Uber says it
functions more as a high-tech coordinator and middleman, similar to how
travel websites connect passengers to jet planes. ¦ Related: Uber car
service rolling into regulatory trouble in Detroit Uber charges riders by
the mile and generally takes a 20% cut of the fare, with drivers keeping the
rest. With the Ann Arbor expansion, Uber's service now extends west from
Detroit to about 3 miles west of Ann Arbor. The coverage area also includes
Ypsilanti. "We had overwhelming demand for expansion to Ann Arbor from
residents, so it was the logical next step," Mike White, Uber's general
manager in Detroit, wrote in an email today. Uber's operations violate city
of Detroit and state of Michigan regulations concerning vehicles for hire.
Its Detroit office was issued a cease-and-desist order in February by the
city' law department, although it continues to operate. Uber is bringing to
Ann Arbor its traditional Uber service that connects riders with
professional and licensed chauffeurs of black sedans, as well as its cheaper
and more controversial UberX service, which relies on everyday drivers who
use personal vehicles and typically lack the chauffeur licenses and
commercial-grade insurance that traditional taxicab drivers have. One Ann
Arbor city councilman told the Free Press that he is anticipating trouble
with Uber. "With Detroit issuing a cease and desist against the company, I
wouldn't be surprised if we took that same kind of action," said Councilman
Stephen Kunselman, who sits on the city's Taxicab Board. Kunselman said he
believes it is important for public safety that drivers for hire register
their identities. "We want to know who the drivers are of these vehicles
that are picking up our residents and taking them to their destinations," he
said. "Without that information then it becomes a dangerous situation.
Uber's Ann Arbor rates for its UberX service - $2.80 base fare and $1.60 per
mile - are nearly identical to its Detroit rates. White, the Uber manager,
said the company has no immediate plans to expand elsewhere in Michigan. "We
look to cities where there is opportunity to help provide a safe, reliable,
convenient transportation solution for riders and contribute to economic
development and increased earnings for drivers," he said in an email.

GIF image