[msb-alumni] Bid Dick, Bid!

  • From: Steve <pipeguy920@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <msb-alumni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 15:09:41 -0400

BlankI never knew that Dick, Jane, and Spot had been painted or that they
were patterned after real people.
Steve

Bid, Dick, bid: 'Dick and Jane' artworks for sale Associated Press In the
portrait, the little boy's blue eyes twinkle as he looks straight ahead. His
apple cheeks shine. There's a gap in his teeth, and his reddish-brown hair
is just slightly tousled. He's an All-American boy. He's Dick, of the
illustrated "Dick and Jane" series that helped teach generations of American
schoolchildren to read from the 1930s to the 1970s. He's also Nancy
Childress' childhood neighbor and the model for the drawing by her father,
Robert Childress, that along with Jane, Sally, Spot and others brought the
pages of the schoolbooks to life. Childress is selling her father's artwork
at an auction in New Hampshire at the end of April. Along with Dick, there
are other portraits, black-and-white drawings of John F. and Jackie Kennedy
and offerings from his collection of pastel paintings of college buildings
around the country. "As an artist, there were many illustrators during the
time my father was working," Childress said. "This was the day of the
illustrator. What's different about my father's illustrations is that most
could either do landscape or people, and he had the uncanny ability to do
both equally well. Robert Childress' realism will remind the viewer
immediately of Norman Rockwell's illustrations and that's not a complete
coincidence: The two were friends. Childress said her father, who retired to
Warner, New Hampshire, and died in 1983, never took an art class. He learned
to paint with a paint set an aunt and uncle gave him before he was 10. And
he didn't just use the neighbor boy as a model for the series that he
illustrated during the 1950s and '60s: Nancy was Sally, her sister Susan
became Jane and their mother was one of Robert Childress' inspirations. "We
loved it," she said. "My sister and I loved getting into costumes. And he
would always include us. He would ask us, 'What do you think of this? Is it
too green? Is it too blue? But the opinion that mattered was my mother's.
Born in South Carolina, Childress was living in Ithaca, N.Y., when he was
commissioned to paint a portrait of H.E. Babcock, a former chairman of the
board for Cornell University. Through his connection with Babcock, he met
Duncan Hines, the home food entrepreneur whose cakes and other products
still stock grocery shelves. Childress painted the portrait of Hines that
adorned his product packaging and Childress launched a career in
advertising. He moved the family to Old Saybrook, Conn., where he painted
ads for Coca-Cola, Mobil, Wonder Bread and Campbell Soup, among others. Some
of the ads are in the auction. Auctioneer Ronald Pelletier of Brookline
Auction Gallery said estimates for the roughly 50 lots of Childress art run
from $100 to $2,000 and there is no reserve bid, meaning the lowest bid
wins. He said there is a market for original art, but he couldn't predict
how the Childress collections will fare. He is most struck by how
multidisciplined Childress was. "I mean, the man could work in any medium,"
he said. The live online auction will be held April 30.

GIF image