[msb-alumni] Re: EPA Investigating Asbestos Cleanup at MSB

  • From: Steve <pipeguy920@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <msb-alumni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2014 15:30:39 -0400

BlankWell, it is my understanding that asbestos is an extremely dangerous
carcinogen.  For a more in-depth discussion about linkages to health
conditions and asbestos, see
http://www.webmd.com/lung/asbestos-exposure

Having said that, I rather doubt it would be that dangerous unless you are
exposed to the asbestos fibers themselves.  This occurs a lot in the
manufacturing and repair process; a lot of older automobiles had asbestos
brake linings; and of course, heating pipes and other construction materials
like ceiling tiles in buildings had asbestos insulation.  The problem here
with the school is that in any kind of building demolition, you need to
properly seal off the area and remove the asbestos.

All I can say is I hope the hell I'm right.  God knows, I've been exposed to
enough of that crap.  I remember my Dad cutting asbestos to block off part
of a heat register; and when I worked at Kaiser, we had asbestos all over
the place in our pot linings for the aluminum smelter.  And, the day I hired
on at the Board of Wawa and Light, part of the ceiling on the ninth floor of
the building collapsed which exposed us to falling insulation that contained
asbestos.  They had the whole area taped-off with heavy plastic tarps to
keep it from getting elsewhere in the building.

Steve
Class of '72