[msb-alumni] Re: Demolition Underway at Former Michigan School for the Blind

  • From: Steve <pipeguy920@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <msb-alumni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2014 14:00:39 -0400

BlankThe way things stand right now ...

They are going to tear down the cottages and the Service Building.  So, the
whole western half of the campus will be available for new housing
development.  I don't think this plan has changed since the last meeting I
was at a couple years ago discussing this.

The Main Building will be used by the Lansing Housing Commission for their
functions on the main floor.  The upper floors were planned to be sone kind
of senior or low-income housing.

The Old School Building was supposed to be a candidate for redevelopment, it
has about 4,000 square feet of potentially commercial office space.

The Library, a 17,000 Square Foot building,  has been remodeled and is
shared by Neighborhood Empowerment Center and the Greater Lansing Housing
Commission.  There are a couple meeting rooms available for community
organizations.

The Health Center, New School Building are used by the Mid-Michigan
Leadership Academy, a charter school owned by Sabis Schools of New Orleans
and sponsored by Central Michigan University; they also have the gymnasium
as well as the land south of Maple Street.