[mountainmilers] January Progress Report

  • From: Terri Rashid <terri@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "<mountainmilers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>" <mountainmilers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "prescott-trail-runners@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <prescott-trail-runners@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 14:02:11 +0000

January was a pretty busy month for me, with the first few days wrapping up our
winter break ski trip, and then a week after our return to Prescott, moving
from our ranch to a new house in town, then it was back to Montana for a long
weekend of skiing, then back to Prescott to unpack more boxes.  :)  In spite of
that, it was a decent month for running.

I wrapped up 2013 with a couple of lower mileage months - 70 miles in November,
26 miles (plus skiing) in December.  Part of that was because I was busy with
packing and plans to downsize and sell the ranch and animals, part of it was
because I was fighting overuse injuries (hamstring & PF) and part of it was
because I was away skiing for the last part of December.

In January I wanted to start bringing my mileage and long run distances back up
in preparation for the Whiskey Row marathon in May.  I also want to see if I
can do the Crown King Scramble 50K in April, though I have not yet signed up
for that.

In spite of still having a very sore area on my right heel (PF) at the start of
the month, I have been able to bring up both my overall mileage and my long run
distance.  In fact, the PF is doing better now than at the beginning of
January.  My left hamstring is also better than it was back in December.
Neither issue is resolved, but they are both improved.

For January I managed a total of 142.8 miles, with a long run on the Peavine /
Iron King trails of 14 miles, and a long train run/hike in the Bradshaw
Mountains of 13.8 miles with 2967' ascent.  I also ran, skiied or snowshoed at
least 20 minutes of every day in January.  (I am going to be a bit more
flexible in my streak definition this year, including either running OR
showshoeing OR skiing.  The skiing part only counts the time spent actively
skiing down the mountain - so it takes several ski runs to get to 20 minutes.
:))  I have done two or more of those for several days in January as well.

On the whole I am pleased with how my running year is starting, and hope to
continue to improve upon my injury/pain status in February.

Hope your 2014 is off to a good start as well!

.Terri