Sunday January 13

  • From: "Marge Hickey" <marge@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <morningprayer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 14:51:54 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

From: Fr. Pat Umberger
Date: 01/05/08 11:24:04
Subject: Sunday, 13 January 2008

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     from Father Pat Umberger

I ' M    A T    G U A D A L U P E
I'll be in Mexico City from 07-18 January.  Keep me in your prayers, and
know you'll be remembered in mine as well.  I'll remember your intentions
remembered at Guadalupe, daily Mass and during visits to the many Churches
of Mexico City.  Since Morning Prayer is already prepared, Prayer Intentions
will not be included with Morning Prayer during this time. Margie, our
Pastoral Minister, will send Morning Prayer in my absence.  You cannot
e-mail Margie by replying to this e-mail, but may do so by e-mailing
marge@xxxxxxxxxxx If you'd like to "unsubscribe" during this time, just
follow the directions at the bottom of this e-mail.  I cannot do it for you
during this time away.

     From Father Pat Umberger

St. Hilary (315?-368)
This staunch defender of the divinity of Christ was a gentle and courteous
man, devoted to writing some of the greatest theology on the Trinity, and
was like his Master in being labeled a "disturber of the peace." In a very
troubled period in the Church, his holiness was lived out in both
scholarship and controversy.

Thus says the LORD: Here is my servant whom I uphold, my chosen one with
whom I am pleased, upon whom I have put my spirit; he shall bring forth
justice to the nations, not crying out, not shouting, not making his voice
heard in the street. a bruised reed he shall not break, and a smoldering
wick he shall not quench, until he establishes justice on the earth; the
coastlands will wait for his teaching.  ~Isaiah 42:1-4, 6-7

After Jesus was baptized, he came up from the water and behold, the heavens
were opened for him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove
and coming upon him. And a voice came from the heavens, saying, "This is my
beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased."   ~Matthew 3:13-17

Jesus comes to us in gentleness and peace.  As he is Baptized in the Jordan
River we hear His Father say, "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well
pleased."  We can strive to live in gentleness and peace as well, as we
follow in the humble footsteps of Jesus.

I pray that I may live my life in gentleness and peace as Jesus did.  I pray
that I may work for justice as well, that God can say about me, "This is my
beloved child, with whom I am well pleased."