<MP>Tuesday, 22 June 2010

  • From: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fr. Pat Umberger" <frpat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 20:20:47 -0500

.=:  M O R N I N G    P R A Y E R  :=.
     From Father Pat Umberger

I R E L A N D    2 0 1 0
EARLY SIGN-UP DEADLINE ENDS AFTER 10 JULY
PRICE GOES UP $100 AFTER THAT.
18-28 October 2010 - $2799 from O'Hare, $2859 from La Crosse Brochure,
sign-up sheet & links to hotels are now available at the Web Site:
www.frpat.com

St. Thomas More (1478-1535)
His belief that no lay ruler has jurisdiction over the Church of Christ cost
Thomas More his life. Beheaded on Tower Hill, London, July 6, 1535, he
steadfastly refused to approve Henry VIII's divorce and remarriage and
establishment of the Church of England. Described as "a man for all
seasons," More was a literary scholar, eminent lawyer, gentleman, father of
four children and chancellor of England. An intensely spiritual man, he
would not support the king's divorce from Catherine of Aragon in order to
marry Anne Boleyn. Nor would he acknowledge Henry as supreme head of the
Church in England, breaking with Rome and denying the pope as head. More was
committed to the Tower of London to await trial for treason: not swearing to
the Act of Succession and the Oath of Supremacy. Upon conviction, More
declared he had all the councils of Christendom and not just the council of
one realm to support him in the decision of his conscience.

For more, follow this link:

God upholds his city for ever. ~Psalm 48

"Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the road broad that
leads to destruction, and those who enter through it are many. How narrow
the gate and constricted the road that leads to life. And those who find it
are few."  ~Matthew 7:6, 12-14

Thomas More was a man of holiness and conscience.  His life was taken
because he refused to assent to what was wrong. He didn't have any trouble
attaining the Kingdom of God, since his motives and positions were correct.
We can strive to emulate his courage.

I pray that I may live as a person of holiness and conscience.  I pray that
I may stand up for what is right, whatever the cost.

.=: W E     P R A Y  :=.

Linda is asking prayers for her daughter who will be having a C-section on
Friday praying for a safe delivery for mom and a healthy baby girl. Sheila
asks for prayers for a long time friend whose wife is receiving care through
Hospice. Gen asks prayers for a special intention. JP requests prayers for
his son who is to be married Sat June 26 2010, that he and his new wife
always keep God in their marriage.

Joanne asks prayers for  brother who will be undergoing intense chemo this
week. Melva requests prayers for her great niece who is only 6 and has heart
problems, for the medical staff to find and treat the problem so that she
can be well and strong. Member asks for prayers for grandson who has
drinking and social problems and for all the lives and livelihoods affected
by the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, Lord hear our prayer.

Frank asks for prayer for his daughter who is having problems with her first
pregnancy. Beverly asks prayers for a special intention. Marie requests
prayers of thanksgiving for the good health of her daughter and new baby
granddaughter. An aunt asks prayers for her niece's son who goes to court
this week in a painful divorce and custody hearing and wants custody of his
daughter.

<MP>Morning Prayer is free, and is
Copyright XXM Father Pat Umberger,
a priest of the Diocese of La Crosse