[modular-debian] Re: systemd-free alternatives are not off topic.

  • From: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modular-debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 08:46:33 -0500

Andrew McGlashan wrote:

On 24/11/2014 12:35 AM, Miles Fidelman wrote:
Before you go all conspiracy theory here, that message DID make it to
Debian-user, as have all of my semi-rants about systemd.  (I remember
seeing it last night, and it's in the archives).  I have noticed that
lists.debian.user does seem to take its sweet time about distributing
list traffic - but then, it supports a lot of lists, and a fairly large
distribution.  (As a datapoint, from my own, much smaller, list server -
anti-virus and anti-spam processing eats up an awful lot of cycles).
I'd also check your spam folder before assuming that you're being censored.
You are right, in this case, but there most definitely have been a
number of messages that I've sent as well as others, that have not been
allowed to be seen on the DU list.

I saw my own message come through shortly after having sent my message
to this list.  However, given previous form, I was sure that the delay
was already too long and that chances were that my message was lost
(moderated).

You do know they are moderating posts, don't you?

It is absolutely clear to me that the list is not seeing all posts and
it isn't only posts of extreme nature -- some of those actually get through!

So, I am very, very sure that those watching just the DU list will not
see the full scope of issues, such as many posts made but denied their
voice due to moderation.

Actually, I'm not completely sure of that. I've gotten my share of back-channel messages from one of the list moderators, but never had a message deleted, and an awful lot of truly offensive messages have made it to debian-user. What's troubling is that the listmasters have actively refused to make any statements about moderation or policy - one way or the other.

But leaving that aside - can we please not let this list degenerate into a meta-meta-discussion of the debian-user list?

Miles Fidelman