[modular-debian] Re: Peter Nieman just told it like it is

  • From: Marty <martyb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modular-debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2014 20:05:22 -0500

On 11/04/2014 01:48 PM, Go Linux (Redacted sender golinux@xxxxxxxxx for DMARC) wrote:

On Tue, 11/4/14, Steve Litt <slitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  Subject: [modular-debian] Peter Nieman just told it like it is
  To: modular-debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Cc: gmane-acct@xxxxxxxxxxx
  Date: Tuesday, November 4, 2014, 12:26 PM

Hi all,

Peter Nieman today expressed the situation beautifully and succintly
on Debian-User:

I wish *I* had written that!

SteveT

> And to the people who have no problem with the way things are going right now I would say: there's a perfect OS for you already, and it's called Microsoft Windows 7. [Peter Nieman]

Unfortunately I think he's wrong. It's called Windows 10, and looks like everything Gnome-OS aspires to in 5 years. My first thought was systemd is toast, and MS moving on the Linux ecosystem and Red Hat is burning it down in a last ditch defense. It was completely predictable.

  Yes, that was about a prefect summary of the situation.  Glad you're still
reading the user list . . .

The freeze is tomorrow so a decision on the GR will have to be made by then
unless the freeze is postponed.

It's not a referendum on systemd or the "Unix way," but more an affirmation of existing policy, as I see it. A direct poll on the issue from a poll last year is more informative, but opinion could have shifted since then:

"62.4% voted 'I welcome systemd in Debian, everything is fine'”

https://people.debian.org/~stapelberg/2013/05/27/systemd-survey-results.html