[modular-debian] Re: Distros without full proper management

  • From: Andrew McGlashan <andrew.mcglashan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Steve Litt <slitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, modular-debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 03:28:52 +1100

Hi Steve,

On 24/11/2014 2:46 AM, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 00:48:40 +1100
> Andrew McGlashan <andrew.mcglashan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> On 24/11/2014 12:36 AM, Miles Fidelman wrote:
>>> OpenBSD has a pretty amazing track record in terms of security.
>>> Don't know if the same can be applied to their ports.
>>
>> So, that doesn't hold true for FreeBSD as well?
>
> Not to the same extent. Pertaining to security, OpenBSD makes Debian
> look like Windows, from what I understand. Its top priority is security.
>
>> I've relied on Debian-Security and as a rule try to not install
>> software outside of apt packaging -- the main reason for that is to
>> make sure that the package system has a chance of keeping my software
>> more secure than I could manage by myself.
>
> Andrew, what's your use case? What are you doing with your computer(s)?

The /main/ basics at this time are as follows:

   bind9 DNS servers
     multiple zones [master and slave as well]

   exim4 mail servers
      [full TLS, dovecot, squirrelmail]

   mysql [server] for websites

   xen and kvm servers
      [moving to kvm over xen on some machines]

   apache2 web servers
     [including one Magento site, a bunch of WP sites and other sites]

   samba server

   backup servers
      [mostly, but not exclusively using rsnapshot]
      - currently with LUKS encrypted over RAID1 with lvm2
      - also with dropbear.

   own cloud [or similar] setup will be done at one stage.

   and normal ssh of course.....
      [with limited and restrictive access]

The virtual server side of things are my greatest concerns for
migration, the rest is pretty simple.

Currently using *mostly* Windows for desktops / laptops.

Also Windows Server products on some client machines.
  [AADS (formerly XPUnlimited product)
   - MYOB and other products that needs to use Windows at this time]

- --
Kind Regards
AndrewM

Andrew McGlashan