[modular-debian] Re: Distros without full proper management

  • From: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modular-debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 14:31:26 -0500

Steve Litt wrote:
On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 09:15:37 -0500
Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Can't really say.  OpenBSD explicitly focuses on security, but I can
say that if you scratch serious service providers, particularly
old-school ones, they're very likely to be running one of the BSDs,
not Linux.  And the really serious service providers and enterprise
users run Solaris (with growing use of illumos).

Miles Fidelman
Hi Miles,

You're talking about real Solaris, and not OpenSolaris, right?

Yup. Seems like all serious enterprise IT shops are either Windows Server (uggh, but it works) or Solaris - pretty much depends on whether or not they're running MSSQL or Oracle.

Beyond that, academia, ISPs, R&D operations that have serious sysadmin chops lean toward BSDs for the mail and other IT-type applications. RHEL tends to play well there as well, along with government.

About 5 years ago I used OpenSolaris on a typical Wintel machine, and
OpenSolaris was literally half the speed of Linux. You can still get
OpenSolaris, but it's a version from 2009, and I presume it's still
slow as molassas.

You mentioned illumos, which I had to look up. Research of illumos led
me to OpenIndiana, which has a live CD that's easy to try out. My
reading leads me to believe that illumos (and hopefully therefore
OpenIndiana) has full KVM VM capabilities.

When Oracle stopped supporting OpenSolaris, illumos is what continued. OpenIndiana, Nexenta, SmartOS, Dilow, and several others are illumos distros. Yes, KVM is there, Xen is not (though Dilos claims to be supporting Xen).

Thanks for this great info Miles. Access to info like this is *exactly*
why I subscribed to modular-debian.

:-)

Cheers,

Miles