[modeleng] Re: [modeleng] Re: [modeleng] Re: Dimensions  of ADAMS was 3 1/2 vs 5 " gauge

  • From: "Jem Harrison" <Jem.Harrison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 21:18:07 +0100

Pierre,

If by 'English Green', you mean what is commonly called British Racing
Green, then I suppose the LSWR green for goods and secondary passenger
engines would be similar.  BRG is generally considered to be a very dark
green, although I have heard it said that it is actually Brunswick Green.
Unfortunately, different people have different interpretations of Brunswick
Green!

I recommend L.Tavender, "HMRS Livery Register No.3; LSWR & Southern", (1970)
which goes into painstaking detail.  Between 1883 and 1922, descriptions of
the green on goods engines have variously been described as:

Dark Green
Dark Bronze Green
Holly Green
Dark holly green
Black or very dark green
Very dark green, almost black
Very dark green

On pages 6 and 7, Tavender states,

"As originally specified, the boiler, main frames, safety valve lever,
outside cylinders, valances, footsteps, wheel centres, tender frames,
hornplates, springs, hangers, outside cranks, coal coping and the fron tof
axle-boxes were painted dark green.....tender axleboxes were black, and
gurard irons, buffer sockets and buffer beams were vermillion.  Lining was
carried out on the boiler bands, cab panels, splashers, sand-boxes, cylinder
clothing, footspteps and tender sides and end, all of which were edged in
black and lined in light green.  The dge of the coal coping was black,
inlined.  No lettering was carried at first, the engine number was marked by
cut-out brass figures on the cab side, with the usual presentation on the
buffer beams.  Other later details of lettering and shape of lining
conformed to contemporary passenger-engine practice....
    Cab interiors were buff and the frame interiors were probably tan.
Toolboxes on the engine platform were painted as for tanks.  The following
parts of engines were painted black: cab roof exterior, splasher and tank
tops, tank ends, outside motion plate, outside cylinder ends, step treads,
guard irons, axles, axle ends, tyres, tender interior, coal rails,
hornplates, axleboxes, springs, spring hangers, brake gear, toolboxes on
tender platforms and top......buffer beams were vermillion and motion,
buffer heads and handrails bright..."

Best wishes,

Jem