[modeleng] ebay scam

  • From: "Tim Rickard" <the_viffer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 12:12:08 +0000

Someone (let us call him ebay user name letsdownload email
para_sells@xxxxxxxxx to expose the guilty. I don't condone spamming, posting
other people's email address on sites where spammers will get them and the
like but don't let me stop you if you feel like it. Hardly worth it for a
throw away email address anyway) tried a rather amateur ebay scam on me a
couple of days ago.

I failed to buy a rather expensive item which went for nearly twice the four
figure sum I bid for it. Shortly after I received an email with a forged
header (that was the only cleverish bit but I'm pretty certain my 6 year old
daughter could and maybe does do it.) purporting to come from ebay offering
it on a Second Chance Offer. I was surprised that it would so quickly come
down the list of bidders and also a bit surprised that it came from a
different user name and email address from the actual vandor. I was even
more surprised to find that the username was registered in Singapore since
the vendor lives in Devon and the item weighs 100kg. The vendor confirmed it
was nothing to do with them. It has been reported to ebay who are doubtless
looking at it with their usual skill and determination

For devilment I emailed (using a different email address) letsdownload
saying the offer was fine and I'd pop round with the cash and pick it up.

I got a replying asking me for a delivery address and ebay username and was
told that ebay would contact me with further information. Feeling kind for a
change I did not give an obscene user name and Met Police Fraud squad
address and phone number as contact details but merely repeated that I'd be
glad to collect and give cash. No reply.

No doubt the next step would be attemtped phising by sending me a fake ebay
form with my password and other info needed and a try at a Western Union rip
off.

You have been warned