[modeleng] arf a clock

  • From: "Wilfried Vermeiren" <vermeiren.wilfried@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 19:31:46 +0200

Hi Brian
It is the weight driven brass alarm clock. Designed, with the novice in
mind, by John Wilding. That=92s what the original article in ME told way =
back
in 1986.=20
Now I always believe people and since it said =93novice=94 this surely =
would be
me. Things went quite smoothly till the point where John said it=92s =
time to
test. Well the manual said 4lbs, result nothing happened. More weight =
was
needed up to a point where the chassis of the clock started to deform.=20
Well saying that it did not run is not entirely true it did but only for =
say
=BC of an hour where after the pivots started to bind into the plates.
Talking about this phenomena to John, a charming and very helpful chap, =
the
problem was brought back to the wrong material for the plates. The brass
probably contains to much zinc which gives rise to the problem of =
binding.
I still love the looks of a =93skeleton=94 clock, see the recent hot air =
engine,
and it is my intention to give it another try. This time with the use =
off
ball bearings.
Would be nice to finish it before it=92s 20 the birthday.
Regards
Wilfried Vermeiren
http://users.skynet.be/modelbouw.wilfried