[modeleng] You can still find a bargain!

  • From: "Alan Stepney" <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 14:38:34 -0000

A couple of years ago I spotted an advert in a local paper:
"Old lathe, dismantled but believed complete. Buyer must collect, very
heavy".
I went along, complete with pal who owns a truck, to find, well, I wasnt too
sure.

However, it had a 2hp motor, and "some sort of gearbox" which I recognised
as a variable speed hydraulic drive. The owner said "I wont accept less than
£40 for it", so after some deliberation (about 10 microseconds) and the
obligatory sucking of teeth and double act between pal and self, I bought
it.

We soon found out that the total weight is around 1 ton!

Anyway, got it home, left all the main castings outside to wash off the muck
(It was in a chicken hut) and eventually, cleaned it off and gave it a first
coat of paint.

This is it with a trial assembly to find what is missing (not much), how
badly worn it is (not very) and see what it looks like.

http://www.alanstepney.info/z/z50.jpg

Alan Stepney

http://www.alanstepney.info
Model Engineering & steam engine information pages