[modeleng] Torches & Boilers

  • From: Harry Wade <hww@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 20:59:49 -0600

At 06:26 PM 1/8/06 -0800, you wrote:
>O.K.-- What size Propane torch/torch head is recommended for Silver
Soldering/Brazing a seamless Copper tube, app. 5 inches in diameter with a
wall thickness of app. .120"?

Al,
      Unless I have missed something, or the mfgs are hiding from me, a
good propane system with a sufficient delivery rate and head size, such as
Sieverts with their 100,000+btu nozzels, is not available.  Lacking as many
of us do the money to buy such a Sievert setup for a one-time job, the
best, quickest, most cost-effective thing I think you could use is a
Weedburner.  I know this may sound completely batty but I'm convinced of
its effectiveness when nothing else is within reach.  Do I have to come up
there and prove it to you?  The only drawback I can anticipate is that it's
capable of producing a prodigious flame so some care and protective
clothing will probably be advisable.  Can you send me a photo?
     An example of the type of Sievert propane system which we do not have
available (so far as I know) in the US is at
<http://www.sievert.se/us/pro86_88.htm#Soft%20flame%20burner%20no.
Look at nozzels #2942, 2943, and 2944.  Terrific for boiler work.

Regards,
Harry