[modeleng] Re: Swarf! O/T Teaching

  • From: Allen Messer <al_messer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 06:47:21 -0800 (PST)

Peter, about 25 years ago, I had occassion to do some
substitute teaching in our local school system and I
was amazed at the percentage of students that were not
motivated in Reading and Math.  During Reading
classes, if one of them mis-pronounced a word and I
gave the correct one, the attitude was "Well,
whatever", and sometimes, they would even say that
phrase aloud.  I was appalled as I had always wanted
to "do things right."  The same thing was true in Math
class--many in the class did not care one way or the
other if they solved the problems correctly.  This was
at the beginning of the video and computer game age
and this was all that they had on their collective
minds.  Now, instead of having to memorize the
multiplication tables as I had to do, they sit them
down in front of a computer and it "teaches" them.
BAH!

Al, the Grump, Messer