[modeleng] Re: Steam pressure/velocity question

  • From: "Phill Smith" <steam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 00:09:50 +0800

Peter,

Do you want the good news or the bad news first????

The bad news is that there is NO WAY of increasing the velosity of the 75
psi steam to that of the 150 psi steam.

What you can do is open up the steam slot a little bit, to alow more steam
to pass through it. This increases the (for lack of a more descriptive word)
strength of the steam feather/jet which will give a slight lowering of the
tone and an increase in the intensity of the sound.

Harry is correct, in that the height of the opening, determines the
intensity (volume) and (to some degree) the tone of the note. The final
decider of the note that a whistle makes is the length of the bell. It is
posible to obtain the same note (frequency) from the same whistle, with the
same sized opening, by operating at different pressures and increasing the
escape slot width for the lower pressure whistle.

I have seen..... not that I like the practice..... people wrap a strip of
shim around the whistle and clamp it on with a hose clamp. This allowed them
to use a high pressure whistle at much lower pressures, with a surprisingly
large lowering of tone, and only a mild decrease in the intensity of the
sound.

Cheers,

Phill.