[modeleng] Re: Steam engine RPM ? / measurements

  • From: "alan Stepney" <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 11:11:34 +0100

I'll have to have a look at that book.
Sounds fascinating.
In fact, I am looking for older designs of engines so this might be helpful.

In that context, I was looking through one design in a Model Engineer of
around a century ago.
Apart from the usual 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64 which we are used to, some
dimensions were to 1/128, and others to 1/100 and a few odd measurements.

Seeing 48/100 is fine of you work with micrometers / verniers, but I would
hate to do that on a rule.
(In fact, I do have a rule that has a section marked in 100ths, or at least,
thats what it says!)

The "oddities" include, 13 1/2 twentieths and a couple of other similar
measures.

Isnt life simple these days?

Alan Stepney

http://www.alanstepney.info
Model Engineering & steam engine information pages.