[modeleng] Saddle keys and etc.

  • From: Allen Messer <al_messer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 08:43:06 -0700 (PDT)

I know that this has been discussed before, but since
my short term memory is not what it once was, would
you please discuss this subject again?

What I am referring is the passage in K. N. Harris'
book "Model Stationary and Marine Engines", page 133,
where he describes the construction and use of "Saddle
Keys".

May I assume that the keyway in the wheel is broached
or filed as usual and the shaft is left plain?

Also, as to "round keys", would two 5-40 (5 BA) screws
installed 180 degrees apart be proper for a 1/2" shaft
with half the hole in the wheel and half in the shaft?

Al Messer