[modeleng] Piston rings and O rings

  • From: NIGELBALL@xxxxxxx
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 09:00:37 EST

Hi All
I am currently building a Sweetpea and have come to start the cylinders and
pistons, I am looking at the piston rings and have been told the I would be
better off using a Silicon O ring instead of piston rings, I need to know how
wide the slot should be to allow the ring to rotate.
The bore is 1 1/2" and stroke approx. 2 1/2" I understand there is a  formula
for this.
Also I have ordered GM piston blanks, Would I be better using Cast  iron?.
Thanks for the information on boiler testing found it very useful, although
for a first attempt i've ordered a ready made boiler.
Regards
Nigel Ball
Leicester