[modeleng] Re: Off topic a bit: UNF and UNC threads

  • From: "Jeff Dayman" <jeffdayman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 22:00:46 -0400

Hi Rich,

The -2A and -2B is the thread class (fit) and the *.75 probably means 3/4"
deep full thread.

The thread class doesn't mean much for hobby work, it's used in commercial
work to designate fit quality only if required.  If you've got taps to suit,
they may or may not have the class marked on them. If not, they'll probably
cut normal commercial quality loose threads, fine for hobby stuff.

The UNC does not mean UNCa Jesse Livingston needs to come and make yer
threads, much as he might like to.

Cheers, Jeff Dayman Waterloo Ontario Canada