[modeleng] Myford belt pulleys

  • From: David Everett <deverett2003@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 04:35:36 +0100 (BST)

Hi all

The life of the main Vee belt on my Myford S7 is coming to an end.  I intend to
replace it with a
Polyvee belt, which of course means making new pulleys.  There was a design a
few years ago in ME
by Neil Hemmingway for the conversion that I will use.

Questions:

Should the new pulley be from Cast Iron or will mild steel be OK?

If Cast Iron is to be preferred, will 'any old' cast iron do or must it be
Meehanite (continuously
cast)?

Can anyone suggest a UK supplier of the recommended material from Q1 (125mm/5"
dia x approx
150mm/6").  A local supplier can only get Meehanite up to 100mm dia.

Many thanks in anticipation

Dave
Saudi-Arabia-On-Sea