[modeleng] Re: Midlands ME exhibition

  • From: "Clif Walker" <clif.gwr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 12:00:43 +0100

Hi All,

Yes the loco has a genuine Gas Turbine and is being built by Tim Coles who
wrote a book some years ago on Steam Loco construction.
I saw the loco in action last year at the Bristol Show and it is quite
impressive. The gas turbine used is the type of Jet engine as  used in Model
Aircraft.
I seem to remember that the working revs are about 120,000 RPM so it is a
fair gear train that reduces the speed down to the wheels.
These jet engines are impressive in action. I was watching one being run up
on a test bench clamped to a stand and the bushes about six feet away were
being laid well over with the jet blast out the back. I think that apart
from the power output, about 7HP is absorbed in the jet driving the
compressor stage
The other fun is that  the loco is Radio Controlled so that once it has been
started up, Tim operates it from just siting back on the riding car.

Regards

Clif