[modeleng] Re: Loco looks

  • From: "Jesse Livingston" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 10:08:06 -0600

Peter,

What was to me was the ugliest attempt at streamlining on your side of the
pond was those upside down bathtubs like the "Duke of Gloucester".  Note I
said "your side of the pond" over here we had several abortions like the
"Hiawatha" and the "Commodore Vanderbilt".  I don't much like the NYC RR's
"20th Century Limited" designs either.  As I have mentioned before, my
choice is the SP "Daylight" locos for sheer beauty with the N&W "J Class" as
a close second..

What did the "Duchess" class look like?

Jesse in summat cool W. Tennessee

 The J 600 looks very nice. Still, one thing you guys  didn't have very
 much of   was a braking system with reservoirs of nothing - or at least
 very little. Somehow the concept of a 'vacuum reservoir' seems a strange
 use of language.......
 There's no doubt that around the world, there were some very nice looking
 locos, as well as some horrors.

 For Dave's info, the picture on the wall above me is of a
 Duchess............with a Castle above the fireplace.