[modeleng] Re: Gun metal or phosphor bronze

  • From: "R.L. Roebuck" <rlr20@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 10:14:34 +0100 (BST)

Blackgates use leaded phosphor bronze in the construction of their boilers
(but I don't know the exact grade).

There was a comment in one of Keith Wilson's articles in Model Engineer a
couple of years back I think - he said that it weas okay unless you kept
the heat on too long, and then the flus reacted with the lead and you got
an unsolderable green mess being produced.

The suggestion was that the beginner perhaps shouldn't use the leaded
bronze, they being the most likely to put in too much heat.

I agree though, bronze not gunmetal for the boiler bushes if at all
possible.

Yours,

Rich.