[modeleng] Re: Great Dorset Steam Fair - long & rambling!

  • From: lanchhale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 20:31:15 +0100 (BST)

Hi All

We got back on Sunday evening after being there since the previous Sunday,
this is now our main holiday each year. We were going to stay till Monday
but in conversation with a chap on the Dairy display tent, he advised that
he had been speaking to an elderly local ex-farmer who said the he
expected it to rain on the Sunday evening -and that he had never been
known to be wrong.  As it was we got just up by Stourpaine on the way back
circa 5.10 pm and got the first spots!  We ran out of it up by Chippenham
but it caught us up again around Gloucester.

For the third year in sucesion the weather was brilliant, but the dust and
clag around the playpen on Saturday was terrible, thankfully the wind kept
it away from the tent!

I think one of the highlights was on Saturday when three Fowler crane
engines took part in moving an ex-GWR 42xx 2-8-0T loco no 4277 on a road
train up the 1 in 12 Watford Gap hill, a truly awe inspiring sight - the
commentators estimated the all up weight of the combination was something
circa 125 tons!!

It seemed to be quiet on Sunday in comparison - the late Saturday night
was probably something to do with this.  However it didn't stop a three
loco combination taking the 42xx up the hill again with the 1919 10nhp
McLaren 1652 Boadicea, appearing to be doing most if not all of the work -
judging by the chimney smoke. As with the previous day when this was in
prgress nearly everything else stopped so folk could watch, they did it
needless to say and the crew were greeted with a round of applause when
they reached the top - very well deserved.

There is so much to do and see there - going on the Sunday enabled us to
do some parts, the autojumble and market before the show opened officially
on the Wednesday, and watch some of the older fairground rides being
assembled.  Autojumblers did however bring in more stock during the show
so we had a mooch each day - a couple of stalls had sales on the Sunday,
with stuff going at very silly prices.

I'd better stop, I could go on and on...

Anyone else there?

Cheers

Adrian