[modeleng] Dome was Two Questions

  • From: Harry Wade <hww@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 16:42:55 -0600

At 02:07 PM 1/20/06 -0800, you wrote:
>A hardwood blank on the Faceplate, dished to hold the
>workpiece, and held with Turners' Cement while machining? - Al Messer

Al,
       It's a bit more complex than that.  There are three machining
operations in my method of finishing a dome from a casting, which are (not
necessarily in order), fly-cut the saddle, bore the ID, turn the ODs.
There is a fourth operation which is of course the hand-forming and
finishing.  I also don't have a chuck with jaws that will get a grip on the
casting in any way.
      One option is to make a jig or cradle (wood?) to hold it on the rough
OD while it's being bored and flycut, which need to be on the same
centerline.  Then the casting is reversed and mounted on a stub mandrel to
fit the ID for turning and shaping the OD.  An alternative to boring and
mandrel, which can be include in a pattern, is a chucking boss on the domey
end which can be gripped in a 3-jaw so the OD and ID can be finished at the
same setting.  The problem with that is that unless the chucking boss is
very stout, holding it by the boss alone while doing the fly-cutting is
just asking for a ruined casting (not to mention the boring tool.)  So some
kind of cradle still needs to be made.

Regards,
Harry