[modeleng] Re: Clinker

  • From: "Tim Rickard" <the_viffer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 23:39:46 +0000

Thanks to all for replying.
The consensus is change the coal.
Furry muff but to what?
I've been using Signal Fuels Steam Coal.. The current bag is much better
than the previous couple of which I was throwing away a good half before
firing on the basis that coal rather than slate burnt. The current bag looks
much better but I'm still getting lots of clinker.
I've tried anthracite but it won't burn for me.
I've tried Coalite which is great with the wheels off the ground on a test
stand but on a real live working loco it is gutless.
Thanks to Peter for the thin hot fire idea. I like hot fires. Increase the
temperature by 10% and you increase (according to Stefan's law) the radiant
energy by nearly 50%. (I'm only 9.3456321% annoyed by Alan's  p155 take) I
don't like thin fires. I'm not one of those chaps who takes 2 hours to raise
steam and then goes gingerly and light round the track for an hour before
coming off. I like to work my locos to within 2.54cm of their lives.
Two tales.
A friend watched me run my 7200 (pictures on Terry's site) around a well
known South of England site well known for the length of the circuit and the
gradients thereof. I handed the loco over to him with the water near the top
nut, two injectors on, and the safety blowing hard and also the firebox full
to the door of white hot coal and clinker. He ran for a while and then said
despite firing little and often the power was falling off. I filled the
firebox back up to the top and set the blower going. 5 minutes later he was
running well. Once the fire had burnt through and was kept full every 2000
feet all was fine

Story number 2. We took the same loco to another well known South of London
site which is shorter, less heavily loaded and more nearly flat. To our
astonishment the guys were sanding the rails before risking going round a
shortish nearly flat circuit with only one passenger car. They were firing
beautifully with thin bright fires however. In our Neanderthal fashion we
had a complete firebox which was white hot (after keeping the brakes and
blower on for a bit) but didn't need the sand.

I am not convinced about the thin bright fire story for a loco which is well
loaded (and some of those who know me will be aware of my propensity to load
a loco). I doubt you can have a thin bright fire for a well loaded loco: the
coal you have to fire to make up for what is burnt cools a thin fire down as
does the excessive top air from opening the fire door. I'm of the view that
a good big 'un will beat a good little 'un any day and my idea of a good
fire is one that is white hot all the way through and reaches to the bottom
of the firehole door.

I'm more than glad to accept Peter's kind invitation to visit IDSME again
(it really is a nice track and lovely people): perhaps we can swap locos and
he can show me how to make a loco steam really well with a thin fire while I
demonstrate what can be done with a big fire.