[modeleng] Clinker

  • From: "Tim Rickard" <the_viffer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 19:20:14 +0000

Thanks to all for responding to my smokebox innards question. You may
suppose that I will have a request for further and better particulars soon
but now for another wally question.

I've been pondering, I really should get out more, on clinker. I run my
locos. They steam well to start with. I poke the fire about a bit. I throw
out the really manky bits of coal before firing them. The pressure is more
and more reluctant to come up. I drop the fire and find loads of clinker.

Two questions. First when I look at the the fire or rake it how do I spot
the clinker? Second question what do I do save for pull it out, if I can
recognise it amongst the other white hot bits when I find some?