[modeleng] Re: Chinnor

  • From: "Charles & Dorothy Brumbelow" <cbrumbelow@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 19:35:51 -0500

A number of years ago the CSX (actually its Seaboard Systems or maybe even
its L&N subsidiary) replaced most of the west side of Radnor Yard with a
major trailer/container/rail interchange, as shown in the picture.  They
have several straddle carriers which can pick up the containers or trailers
and set them on or off the train.  Most of the space is actually a holding
area for trailers or containers setting on trailer frames while they wait to
be picked up and loaded onto trains or trucked out onto the roads.  They
spent a good bit of money to have TVA (or our local electric company)
reroute a set of high voltage wires which used to cross the area.  Just like
a railroad may leave the track in place to protect an easement, the electric
utility left the towers and the top ground wires in place in the railroad
yard.  When they had the dedication of the upgrade, CSX invited
representatives from all the area newspapers, radio stations...and
television stations.  Fortunately no one else from my station wanted to
attend!  Charles