[modeleng] Re: Broken tap and sulphuric acid

  • From: "Ron Head" <ron.head@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 20:44:42 +0100

Hi Kevin

You can always heat the casting to dull red and let it cool slowly.  This
will have the effect of annealing the tap, and it can then be drilled out.
To prevent the drill wandering off into the phosphor bronze, make a jig
plate and clamp this firmly over the hole.  With luck you will be able to
drill the core out, and the threads will just fall away.

The down side to this, of course, is the possibility of distortion to the
casting.

Regards
Ron