[modeleng] Boiler, was, Re: Steam engine RPM?

  • From: "alan Stepney" <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 22:22:59 +0100

Model Engineer and EIM have carried numerous designs for boilers over the
years, and the KN Harris book is also excellent.

The Martin Evans designed 5" (I think) test boiler is one of the best.
Someone else, (was it Tubal Cain) also designed a test boiler.
Reeves list, or used to list, one in their catalogue.

To make life really easy, there was one design that used a domestic
immersion heater as a heat source. As far as I recall, the most complicated
parts were for ensuring the water level was sufficient, and the control of
the heater.

A boiler of this type is not complicated, and is  good exercise in brazing
etc. without being too daunting.

It is worth remembering that apart from the actual boiler, there are, water
level gauge, safety valve(s), drain cock(s), and some form of steam
regulator, plus, the water supply, either by pump (manual or automatic, or
both) or by injector.

Well worth making your own, and making as many of the fittings as you can
manage too.

Alan Stepney

http://www.alanstepney.info
Model Engineering & steam engine information pages