[modeleng] Re: Blueing small parts

  • From: "JESSE LIVINGSTON" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 05:22:29 -0500

> Hi All,
> Thanx for your answers. I have a small electric oven, swiss made (used by
my daughter to "bake" enamels), 1 kW, able to reach 800 °C. I think to use
it to experiment as per Alen and Jesse advices (heat the parts in the oven
and drop them in oil).It seems to be an easy and nice process. The problem
is temperature control. I have to design some temp regulation !
> Regards
> PIerre

Pierre, I just spray my gun parts down with WD-40® after they cool down.
This will darken the colour quite a bit and is less bothersome than having a
container of oil standing by.  The temperature control is quite critical as
you can tell by looking at any chart that tells the various colours the
steel will pass through from straw to purple and finally blue.  It is very
easy to go from blue to a silvery gray if careful watch is not kept on the
parts.

Jesse in Tennessee USA