[modeleng] Ballast

  • From: The Sheppard Residence <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 13:38:08 +0000

All,

I will be ordering some ballast for the Lackham Museum and Woodland
Railway tomorrow (7.25", heavy duty rail).  My source is a local quarry
who have offered to me on very generous terms.

I have been offered some 10mm ballast (that's the true scale size), but
it seems a little small.  I can get larger if I ask.

The bed will be 4" deep 8" wide and lines with a permeable membrane.
When the track is laid a further 2" depth will be placed around the
sleepers to hold the track in position.

So, is 10mm too small?  What size have others used on their railway?

Regards

Peter