[modeleng] Re: Adult education and pratical training

  • From: "Pendragon" <idpriest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 22:11:34 -0000

Gents,
The school, where I work stopped teaching metalwork some years ago, the
workshop fell into decline in fact some of it ended up in my own shop =
having
paid the ridiculous sum of 69 quid for a Tom Senior milling machine. The
rest of the equipment was to be scrapped.

Students were sent to a local college for metalwork however the cost =
became
prohibitive and as such from September last we now teach GCSE metalwork =
year ten students.  Only problem we don't have a metalwork teacher.  The
problem was resolved by the technician who has a doctorate who now =
teaches
the subject.  He however does not have all the practical skills so we
resolved this problem by running a after school club where [and I'm not
blowing my own trumpet] the students hone their practical skills and if
needed re-work the practical pieces previously made in class time under =
my
tuition.  I also run an adult education class which the technician also
joins in with.

So far the results have been encouraging and we can only live in hope =
that
matters go from strength to strength.

Regards IP

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of =
arriving
sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other,=20
body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a
Ride!"=20
=20
"Never drive faster than your gaurdian angel can fly"
=20
Priest & Sons Model Engineers
http://www.kinvermes.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/p1.htm