Re: [MoAccess] voice live 2

  • From: Bryan Smart <bryansmart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "MoAccess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <MoAccess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 06:24:37 -0400

TC Helicon used to contract with Psicraft to write the computer-based editors
for their equipment. They stopped doing that around the time when the VoiceLive
and the VoiceLive 2 were produced. Now, they use their own in-house developed,
cross-platform tool called Voice Support. It serves as a preset librarian,
firmware upgrade utility, and front-end for their support site and forums. It
is also 100% inaccessible on both Windows and Mac OS.

The Voice Support tool is also not an editor. I've seen complaints from sighted
users on their forums that there isn't a computer-based editor available for
most any of the newer TC Helicon products. There is talk that Psicraft might
make one for the VL1 and VL2. However, even though people would like editors
for the new equipment, the demand isn't quite as strong as it used to be. The
old equipment had tiny LCD screens that barely showed any data, and a computer
monitor was a dramatic difference. The newer gear has larger color screens that
display some graphics, so the difference isn't as huge. Some of their new stuff
even uses fair-sized touch screens (the new looper product... can't remember
the name).

I don't understand why their wasn't ever a general editor/librarian tool that
could be customized for different gear. The editor could be a shell. The gear
could be described by a type of preset file. The preset file would contain
descriptions  of the number, type, and arrangement of user interface widgets,
along with the SysEx messages that they trigger when operated. All you'd need
to do when a new piece of gear came out would be to start a new preset file to
describe it, and fill in data from the MIDI specification in the back of the
manual. No need to write the main program, along with the file management, MIDI
communication, user interface handling, etc over and over each time for each
piece. Who knows. Maybe there is one out there. I'd think of making it, if I
wasn't down to exactly two MIDI devices (Motif XF and VoiceLive 2). I used to
have multiple boards and modules, and now just 2. Wonder how long until I have
none.

Bryan