[missbirdphotos] Right Photo-Wrong Bird

  • From: Dana Swan <danaswan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: missbirdphotos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2012 14:04:41 -0600

Yesterday Martha and I went out to see the Spotted Towhee at Robert
Briscoe's place near Oxford.   He has a great place for watching and
photographing birds in his yard.   The Spotted Towhee is not as cooperative
at the Painted Redstart and only occasionally appears.  Eventually the
Spotted Towhee appeared along with an Eastern Towhee.   I was using my
Bigma 50-500 monster lens on my NIkon D5000 and had trouble locating the
bird in the very narrow field of vision of the Bigma.   When I finally
located the bird in the viewfinder, I fired off several shots with the
shutter set to continuous.    The bird then disappeared for the day.   When
looking at the photos, I then discovered that I was following the Eastern
Towhee and not the Spotted Towhee.   Oh well, better luck next time.  I
plan on returning next week in the late afternoon for another try.   It's
not a bad photo though, even if it is only an Eastern Towhee.

--
Dana Swan at Toccopola, Mississippi.
*There are two kinds of men in this world.   *